Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Temptations and Meals for 3/8/16

I've been really fortunate to be on this easy streak, I'm realizing. Life is tough, unpredictable and sometimes throws curve balls (or for some, all the time throws curveballs!). When I began this journey of a more focused, healthier life on November 4th I never thought it would go this smoothly. Ryan and I have been cooking mostly separate dinners so I don't force my new habits on him or Zeke- which has made it easier to not be tempted by his delicious cooking and for me to stay on point. I've been lucky that Zeke sleeps in until 7:30 most mornings so I can get up and workout before work. My workplace has an awesome kitchen with a pizza oven, toaster oven, microwave and multiple utensils. Ryan has been encouraging and supportive- understanding and kind.
In front of the Duluth
Lift Bridge

By NO means am I struggling right now- I'm just realizing that after this weekend and week without Zeke (aka a more wide open schedule!), a lot more temptations are here. An amazing staff lunch at work, eating out with family, later bed times, less time alone to workout, a planned vacation day to Duluth. It's all adding up in one week! I'm facing more temptations in a row than I have in a long time. It's throwing me off my game, making me doubt, feel a bit of guilt.

Rockin' the LuLaRoe Julia dress
In the past- my temptations have maybe been once weekly with a meal out or beer here and there which- given I've eaten well the other meals allllllll week- one meal out wasn't a big deal. Anyhow, I'm not certain where I'm going with this, it's just rambling thoughts for you to see.  I also am acknowledging that everyone's struggles are out there too- how do we move past them and really work the 80/20 or 90/10 rule. How do YOU handle it?

Today we woke up in Duluth- it was nice to sleep in a king sized bed. We enjoyed a dip in the hot tub last night and for the first time in a while I didn't feel totally awkward/exposed in a swimsuit. After Ryan brought me breakfast in bed (swoon!) we walked to Canal Park and the waves were CRAZY! Duluth is such a pretty city and it was fun to walk around a bit. We made our way to a Barnes and Noble and I picked up the new Kate Hudson book Pretty Happy. I've heard great things about it and am excited to dive in- I'll report back!

Beers at The Thirsty Pagan
After spending some time in the cookbook aisle (and adding more books to my Amazon wish list!) we headed out and went over the river into Wisconsin. We'd heard great things about The Thirsty Pagan in Superior, WI and decided to eat lunch there. It's so fun being part of the beer industry and exploring new places. We were lucky to get a backstage tour by one of the brewers Jared. They have a super cool set up and 18 unique beers on tap- seeing their barrel age and sour program was pretty awesome. I can't wait to learn more from them and hopefully keep in touch! Also (you heard it first) I really want to start a blog telling the back stories of people who work in the craft brewing industry. There is always a story behind the person and often times it is extremely interesting!

When we got home we unloaded the car and I got the Hasselback chicken (recipe link below!) ready to eat for dinner- plus of course a side of baked broccoli. It turned out pretty good- and I split the rest of it for lunches this week. I also roasted up some broccoli for more Greens and portioned out cottage cheese. I ended up getting two fresh mangos so I'll hack through those during snacks this week, too!

If I told you that I was looking forward to working out tonight- I'd be lying. Really, really lying. BUT- as every single BeachBody trainer says, you always feel better when you're done. And they're right! Felt good to get my Sweat on with Chalene and PiYo.

Until tomorrow...

Meals for 3/8/16
Hasselback Chicken- yum!

Breakfast: 
2 chicken sausage links, 1 hardboiled egg, 1 small container vanilla Greek yogurt, black coffee (1.5 red, 1tsp)

Lunch: The Thirsty Pagan Apple Walnut Salad- spinach, chicken, walnuts, feta, apple slices (1 green, 1/2 blue, 1/2 red, 1 purple)

Snacks: Air popped popcorn with white cheddar (1 yellow)

Dinner: Hasselback Chicken with a side of baked broccoli (2 red, 1 green, 1tsp, 1/2 blue)

Workout: PiYo Sweat

Big Ideas for Today:
*Start a blog that focuses on the stories behind people who work at craft breweries
*Cook my way through the entire Fixate Cookbook (and others!)

Why Red Rover? I don't know to be honest... I think I've used Red Rover for a while now because I love trying new things, traveling, taking journeys of all types. Red for the hair, obviously- Rover because of the journey.  If you're interested in roving into your own fitness journey with my support reach out to me here. Or check out my BeachBody site. Oh, and for sure follow me on Instagram



Join my Challenge Group- take a step towards a healthier and happier you. 
and I'll see you in the group!