Sunday, March 6, 2016

Focus on the Yellow Container and Meals for 3/6/16

Tortilla pizza
It is Sunday- and a windy, yet warm(er) one here in Minnesota!  Today we got up early with my parents and went to IHOP. The land of pancakes, waffles, whipped cream and more- of course I was thinking about what I'd eat from the get go. When I arrive and looked at the menu they had a few fit choices that were under 600 calories- and listed the calories next to it. I chose the omelette (see today's food!) that fell at 320 calories and felt pretty good about that! Zeke ate most of my fruit, too.

Today my parents are taking Zeke back to Iowa for the week- we don't have daycare all week so they're going to spend some quality Granny and Poppa time together. We drove separately to IHOP with Zeke riding with my parents- and Ryan and I got a bit sad in the car on the way there. We are really, really, realllllly going to miss him. I know he will have so much fun in Iowa with my parents- I'm not worried about him. I'm worried about me.

When we got home (after my parents and Zeke left) I started picking up toys and realized how quiet the house is going to be. Started crying, again. Hugged my amazing husband and took a deep breath. What a weird week it is going to be, right?

On to today's topic- the Yellow Container. Should I even put ideas for this one? This is the easy one to demolish daily- right? Right. However- here are some creative ways you can use that yellow! One suggestion from Autumn is if you are not seeing the results you want- try eating from the top 1/3 of the food list for more nutrient dense foods. Just a tip!

*Sweeeeeet potatoes. These are a staple and almost everyone loves sweet potatoes, right? I like them under eggs, paired with brussel sprouts and broccoli and all by themselves. Regular potatoes are a yellow too- just don't get crazy with the cheese, butter and such.

Tortilla sliced up and tossed in
cinnamon and sugar- baked
*Tortillas- amiright? This is an easy yellow to use. If you use a whole wheat one you only get one- if you choose corn tortillas you get two. I go back and forth and have two creative ideas for you. First- pizza! Use the tortilla as your crust, add tomato sauce (Fixate- green or store bought- purple), other veggies and top with a blue of cheese. Pre-heat the oven to 350, put your pizza on a pan and bake until you see the cheese browning. Your second creative idea is cinnamon/sugar tortilla chips! I sliced up a whole wheat tortilla (corn would work too!) and tossed it in cinnamon and just a little sugar- baked at 350 until they got crispy. It was a nice, sweet treat!

*Beans, beans, the magical... yellow. I love beans in the Fixate Chili- it's one of my favorite ways to eat the yellow. They're also great over rice or with tacos.

*Grains- there are some interesting ones! I haven't ventured out too much in grain and typically stick to couscous (technically a pasta), rice and have now tried bulgur. Head to your local bulk-food bins and try something new out- let me know what you find! Breakfast bowls with quinoa are super popular and there really are some great grains out there.

Fixate Chili- mmm beans!
*Pasta. Nuff said... though the toppings can be a great way to sneak in Greens. Use the Fixate Grandma's Tomato sauce and you're set!

*The ole' standby, bread. 1/2 an English muffin, bagels, waffles, whole-grain bread. It's great when you just want something comfortable. I love Ezekiel sprouted grain bread and keep a loaf frozen- pulling out a slice as I need it. Make french toast, make a ham/egg sandwich, turkey on whole-grain.

*Oatmeal. Now- note, it is one COOKED yellow. So measure out your uncooked oats in a blue and they cook up to be a yellow.

Fixate Mac and Cheese
*Corn and popped corn. To measure out corn on the cob or cooked corn use your yellow container. For popcorn kernels - once they're popped you get 3 cups of air-popped popcorn (read- not oil and butter drenched). This is considered a treat- so you can eat popcorn up to 3x a week. I love using fun recipes like 2 tsp of coconut oil drizzled over the top with unsweetened coconut flakes and cinnamon or a little bit of sea salt and dill. Zeke LOVES popcorn- so it's a fun treat to share.

We also measure our treats in the yellow container or consider them a yellow swap. Typically 1-2x a week I'll swap a yellow for some wine or beer, chocolate or popcorn.  Look in your guidebook for a complete list of treats and some recipe ideas!  Yellow is the easy one- try to balance your containers out over as many meals as possible. I typically have a yellow for lunch and a yellow for dinner- Autumn recommends eating your yellow (and purple) before 7p.

Looking for a complete list of the containers and what to fill them with? Go here!

Ready to go to Iowa for
the week!
Meals for 3/6/16:

Breakfast: IHOP Simple & Fit Omelette with a pork sausage link, black coffee

Lunch: Vegan Chocolate Shakeology, spinach, frozen banana, 2 tsp peanut butter, 4oz almond milk

Dinner: Went to Buca di Beppo- enjoyed chicken stuffed with proscuitto, a red sangria and a side of broccoli.

Workout: PiYo Sweat

Why Red Rover? I don't know to be honest... I think I've used Red Rover for a while now because I love trying new things, traveling, taking journeys of all types. Red for the hair, obviously- Rover because of the journey.  If you're interested in roving into your own fitness journey with my support reach out to me here. Or check out my BeachBody site. Oh, and for sure follow me on Instagram


Join my Challenge Group- take a step towards a healthier and happier you. 
and I'll see you in the group!