Friday, March 18, 2016

Hi, I'm Jen! Nice to meet you! and Meals for 3/18/16

So I posted a bit about my journey earlier. However- I thought it may make sense to do a big picture about me and my journey so far. I'm loving seeing all the page views and new friends on Instagram- I hope I'm being helpful and sharing things that inspire or teach you something!

Here goes! The 10,000 foot view from here is I have one sister, two amazing parents (mom and dad), am married to man I barely deserve, an adorable dog and have a son who is the light of my life. I have amazing friends who are authentic and hilarious. I'm in a career field that I absolutely love.

But if we drop it down a bit.. the story starts here. I'm originally from near Iowa City, IA (go Hawks!). One sister, two parents (mom and dad) and was adopted a birth. Grew up on a 90 acre "farm" in North Liberty, IA. I put farm in quotations because we had horses growing up and lots of land but didn't necessarily farm the land or have an abundance of animals besides cats, dogs and horses. My parents still live there and it is an oasis when we get to visit. So many memories. I went to Regina K-12 (private Catholic school in Iowa City). Graduated with class of 42 (I think?) and 13 of us went through school from Kindergarten all the way through graduation.  In High School I ran Cross Country (badly) and was involved in musical theater my junior and senior year.

Some of my Wartburg gals!
After I graduated from High School I continued my education at Wartburg College in Waverly, IA. It was an amazing 4 years. I made some of the best friends, really grew in to who I was and graduated in 2004 with a degree in Community Sociology and minor in Social Work and Leadership. While at Wartburg I played rugby, was involved in the student programming board Entertainment ToKnight (we were the Knights!) and became a RA during my senior year (important fact alert). Through my time at Wartburg and when I really dug in to my degree program I found I had a love for education, learning new things and discovering how communities function.

When I got my degree I wasn't totally sure what to do with it or how to apply it in the "real world". I ended up moving to Philadelphia for a year and working at first for ACORN (making barely enough to live). ACORN stands for Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now.  I think they did a recruiting fair somewhere that I attended and placed me in Philly for my job. The premise was very much in my chosen degree- organizing communities and helping to change local policy. The actuality of it was I was knocking on doors asking for money from the people who needed the community organizing most- which seemed a bit backward. I worked there for about three months before figuring out I was miserable and that the way they went about making community change was not how I thought it should be done. They were actually in legal trouble during the election for voter fraud- crazy stuff, and I'm happy for what I learned but glad I chose to leave.

Later I began working for Selectronics in electronic chip distribution (weird, I know..) and then for a multi-level marketing company, the name escapes me now, but it ended up being a total pyramid scheme. No joke I was literally dropped off in neighborhoods around Philly, knocking on doors selling the product du jour (pizza coupons, golf packages, car washes). Around Christmas time a huge storm hit and I had a terrible time coming home for the holidays- which was a trigger for me to find a job closer to home. Don't get me wrong - living by yourself in Philadelphia, learning to manage finances and working in random jobs was a HUGE learning experience but it became clear it was time to come home.
One of my halls at UWO!

When I was a RA in undergraduate, I don't think it clicked that Residential Life (managing students in the dorms) was an actual career. I'm sure Wartburg did a good job of telling us that but I was too stubborn to listen or pursue it. As I was wrapping up my time in Philadelphia and moving home I applied for a few Residential Life jobs in Iowa and landed one at Waldorf College in Forest City, IA. I was a Hall Director with a staff of four and began what (at the time I thought) was becoming a career path. After one year there I decided to pursue my Master's Degree in Higher Education and left my job at Waldorf to be an Assistant Hall Director at UW-Oshkosh. In between starting at UWO and leaving Waldorf I was fortunate to get an ACUHO-I internship at Florida State University.

Moving to Tallahassee, FL in the middle of summer was quite the experience. I am grateful for the things I learned and connections I made. The thing that took me most off guard was the wild life.... lizards, armadillos and palmetto bugs (giant ass cockroaches!). I remember driving down there for my internship and seeing armadillos as roadkill and knowing this was going to be an experience! My internship ended in July and I headed to Wisconsin for my graduate assistantship.

While at UW-Oshkosh I co-ran two halls (Evans & Stewart) and a staff of 8 undergraduate RAs. I was able to be a part of some really cool student development activities and groups and really great in my career. UW-Oshkosh does it right in terms of their graduate students and programming in the residence halls. During my time there I worked on (and got!) my Master's of Science in Educational Policy Analysis from UW-Madison. During my time there I don't remember being overweight but I do remember starting Weight Watchers. I worked out at the student gym and began counting points. I am certain I became addicted to seeing pant sizes drop and my lowest size was a 4, which was a bit unhealthy and insane for me. I'm 5'7'' and when I'm fit and toned a size 8 (maaaaybe a 6!) is about where I feel most healthy. Weight Watchers was easy enough to follow and I was on the program for about a year, dropping a lot of weight.

One of my U of MN Student Staff teams
As graduation was coming closer, I attended the Oshkosh Placement Exchange and was offered a position (my dream job!) at The University of Minnesota in Housing & Residential Life.  When I began at the U of M in July of 2008 I think that's probably when I began to put weight back on. I remember purchasing my first BeachBody Program- P90X, and it kicking my ass. I would go back on Weight Watchers, then off, then go to fitness classes for a month or so, then not. It was a roller coaster for fitness. Joyous things also happened while at the U of M- I met my husband, gained professional experience and confidence and thrived in the workplace. It was also when I began working part-time in the brewing industry for Vine Park, a brew your own place in St. Paul.  Working for Vine Park and learning more about the craft beer scene was a lot of fun. I left Vine Park and started working for Summit Brewing Company as a tour guide which is where I really hit my stride. Being able to educate others (which I LOVE doing) about craft beer and give tours was where I really began to shine in the industry. I worked at Summit for a while and as my time at the U of M came to a close Ryan and I prepared for a move to Mankato for my next job at Minnesota State University.

Excited to work at Schells!
I was hired as an interim Area Director and oversaw full time professionals and a graduate assistant. My time at MNSU and in Mankato was, let's say, interesting. I enjoyed the students and staff in my hall, loved working with the full time Hall Directors and grad students, but never really saw eye-to-eye with the administration or my supervisor.There was a weird element of control and lack of creativity. Being in an interim position, I was required to reapply for my job as the term came up and was being made in to a permanent position. Rewind a few months- we had purchased a house in Mankato, being assured by my then supervisor that things were going well in my position and that buying a house would be a good move. Fast forward to the week I re-interviewed for my job and being told that I was not re-hired for reasons that later came out were related to a sabotaged interview by my then supervisor (I have the HR documents to prove it). It was shady shit that I hope to never have to relive. I was also 5 weeks pregnant. Talk about a "trying time". 5 weeks pregnant, no job, living in a city that we weren't totally in love with and far away from family.

My time at Mankato wasn't all bad- I truly did LOVE working with the Hall Directors and students and made some great connections. I also found some amazing beer friends who we still adore and hang out with to this day. I co-started a Barley's Angels chapter and helped form the Mankato Beer Society with Ryan. It was fun to help craft beer thrive a bit more there. After commuting back and forth every other weekend to be a tour guide at Summit the time got to be too much of a commitment and I was fortunate to be given a position working for August Schell Brewing Company in New Ulm, MN. The Marti family who owns Schells is truly amazing- and it was a blessing to work alongside and for them supporting their brand in the Mankato market. If you're ever in the area be sure to stop in, enjoy a tour of the historic brewery and check out their new all-sour taproom (coming soon!).

Ezekiel Stephen- born at 30 weeks on 11/12/13!
After we found out I was not being rehired at MNSU I began searching for jobs in Mankato, given we had a house to pay for and I was newly pregnant. It needs to be mentioned that my amazing husband Ryan was there through it all. Looking back-  can't believe it all happened, but I thank God for him every single day and his support through what was a very, very crazy time. I got a job as a Front Desk Manager at a local hotel and learned a lot about the industry, but the job required me to be on my feet a lot and to be working 50hrs a week. I knew it was not a long term career field for me, but we had a kid on the way. I think our mentality was "have the baby then move back to the Cities". Pregnancy was interesting- and I for sure enjoyed the "eat whatever you want" mentality, putting on over 50lbs by 30 weeks into my pregnancy. Enter the morning of November 12th, 2013 when at 5a I woke up and my water had broken. I was only 30 weeks pregnant. We rushed to the hospital and they determined that yes, my water had broken and we had to be moved up to the Cities to a hospital with a high-level NICU. It was a long ambulance ride to the Cities and when we arrived I wasn't having contractions so the plan was to keep me pregnant (monitored and on bed rest) until 34 weeks if possible.  Well- the kid had different plans for us. Ezekiel Stephen Johnson was born that very same evening on 11/12/13 weighing 4lbs. He (and we) spend 50 days in the NICU during which time Ryan interviewed for a job (and got it!) in St. Paul, I quit my hotel job and spent my days with Zeke in the hospital. We moved in with my in-laws who were a true pillar of stability and a constant blessing to us. Zeke was released January 1st, 2015 and is a healthy, happy, goofy, smiley 2 year old now.

My two loves. 
We lived with my in-laws (yes, with a brand new baby) for 6 months (almost exactly) before finding a house and moving out of their home. At this time I had gotten a job with Excelsior Brewing Company and was working full-time in the craft beer industry. I had a choice- pursue jobs in Higher Education and continue my career path or take a left turn and pursue the craft beer industry as a new career. I'm thankful that my husband and family were supportive in the choices to make a career move as it's truly an industry I love and thrive in.

As you can imagine- my weight and fitness were the LAST thing on my mind during these times. I mean, who the hell gets a new job, uproots their family to move to a new city, isn't rehired for that job, leaves for a new one (while newly pregnant), has a preemie, sells a house, buys a new house and moves BACK to where they started and oh yea- works out and eats right. Not this gal, that's for damn sure.

I left Excelsior Brewing Company this past July (2015) and began working at Badger Hill Brewing Company in my current role. I'm fortunate to have found a company that aligns with my values, honors me for my skills and experience yet still challenges me. I learn something new every day. My job focuses on marketing, social media, event management and more. It's different every day. I interact with event planners, other breweries, consumers and everyone in between. I love seeing the interaction with the public on social media, planning posts and focusing on how to make our brewery even better. We have an amazing team of people here from the guys who brew and package our amazing beer and have a laser like focus on quality to our sales and taproom team who hit the streets and interact with the public spreading the good word of Badger Hill.

Zeke got his own Badger Hill
beer can #!
Life doesn't calm down (does it ever?). I put on about 40+lbs throughout this all and was up to around 180+ on the scale, the most I'd ever weighed. I think I used the mental excuse of baby weight until Zeke turned 2. As his second birthday approached the excuse became weaker and weaker. I can't exactly remember the details, but I was added to a Challenge Group by my coach Tia after I purchased the 21 Day Fix Challenge Pack that included Shakeology. The group started in November but my stuff didn't arrive until a few days after the challenge began so I jumped right in. Now, I started November 4th, 2015- exactly 3 weeks prior to Thanksgiving. Looking back- that was probably pretty dumb... starting a clean eating and fitness journey RIGHT before the holidays when temptation was all around? Yea. Talk about a challenge.

For whatever reason, my jaw was set. When I was a kid my dad would tell me "You're special, you can do anything you set your mind to, you're going to amount to something and I love you". I tell this to Zeke every night before going to bed. I think this was one of those "do anything you set your mind to" moments. I finished the 21 Day Fix round 1 the day before Thanksgiving and already saw major changes in my nutrition and body. Being part of a supportive challenge group, hearing some of the positive compliments start up and feeling better in my clothes all helped me to keep going.

Fast forward to today. I've done three rounds of the 21 Day Fix, one around of the 21 Day Fix Extreme and 45 days of PiYo. I just finished week 1 of my fourth round of the 21 Day Fix. I'm down 30.5lbs, down three clothing sizes, feeling more confident and finally have a handle on my eating. I drink beer each week, enjoy chocolate and still live a full, healthy life. I'm now dipping my toe in to the water of coaching and helping others, like how my coach and BeachBody programs and Shakeology have helped me.

It's weird being in this spot. The spot where I feel odd if I don't workout, knowing how to manage cooking and eating healthy and tasty meals. I know that I can totally indulge in a meal and not feel guilty because I'll be right back eating healthy and feeling great afterwards. One meal does not make or break me any more. It's the journey (yes, ups and downs and all). For goodness sake I work in the BEER industry. I pretty much have limitless access to beer on a daily basis and it is totally normal to enjoy a sample at 9:30a. If I can do it, you can too. I believe in you- you can do anything you set your mind to.

That got a whole lot longer than I thought it would. It was cathartic- and crazy to look back and remember some of these experiences. I am so excited to some day reflect back on this post and see where I have gone from here.

Meals for 3/18/16
Breakfast: Vegan Chocolate Shakeology (more about Shakeology here) blended with spinach, cold press coffee (recipe here), and frozen raspberries. Green tea with lemon. (1 red, 1 purple, 2 green)

Lunch: Shredded chicken, fajita veggies, (recipe here), two corn tortillas topped with 1/2 a blue of shredded cheese and a dollop of greek yogurt. (1.5 red, 1 green, 1 yellow, 1/2 blue)

Dinner: A little indulgence! Steamed pot stickers, sesame chicken and an Insight Brewing Company Sunken City beer. It's good to kick back and enjoy some yummy Chinese food as a Friday treat with the family!

Workout: 21 Day Fix - Yoga. Namaste, ya'll! What a great way to start my Friday morning. I dimmed the lights in the living room while I worked out and stretched out all of those tight muscles. Felt good! 

Why Red Rover? I don't know to be honest... I think I've used Red Rover for a while now because I love trying new things, traveling, taking journeys of all types. Red for the hair, obviously- Rover because of the journey.  If you're interested in roving into your own fitness journey with my support reach out to me here. Or check out my BeachBody site. Oh, and for sure follow me on Instagram


Join my Challenge Group- take a step towards a healthier and happier you. 
and I'll see you in the group!