Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mother's Day reflections

Today is Mother's Day. I got the title upgrade to mom just about 2.5 years ago when my son Ezekiel was born. He came in to the world 10 weeks earlier than expected - we're pretty sure he was just eager to meet us and see what all the fuss was about.

I started my fitness journey on November 4th, 2015- just under 2 years after Zeke was born. I had kept telling myself it was baby weight that I'd take off eventually. Or, maybe I wouldn't even try and just keep it on because what if we wanted to have another baby? Why put all that work in to getting healthy if I was just going to put it right back on?

I'm not sure what switch flipped- but it did.

The first months were really tough (it still isn't easy) but the weight slowly came off about 1-2lbs a week. Then muscles started showing. Then I noticed an improvement in my mood. Then I think others noticed my weight loss and began commenting. I started meal prepping, feeding myself and my family better and actually feeling GOOD about myself.

You know what? I also started appearing in more pictures. I had faded in the background or only taken pictures of Zeke and Ryan- I didn't want to be photographed when I was feeling so unhappy about myself. What a shame for me to go missing from these moments in our lives.

I posted today in a group how the world needs more moms who care not only for those around them but care for themselves. I can't tell you how much my heart believes this to be true.  Gosh, this can even be true for fur baby moms! Now, I'm not saying that dads or others aren't important in the family structure- don't get it twisted. This is true for moms AND dads. What better parents we become when we take time for ourselves. When we begin putting healthier food into our bodies and the bodies of those we love. We're going to be happier, healthier and hopefully around longer!

Now, healthy means different things to different people. For some it's a size of pants, for some it's lowering the cholesterol, for some it's keeping Type 2 Diabetes at bay. There are SO many ways to define healthy for yourself. So- I ask, what does healthy look like to you?

Then, I ask, how can I help you get there?
I have so many women and men who have allowed me to be their coach. They are on different journeys with varying goals. For some it is being able to run longer, some it's a number on a scale, some it's seeing muscles and feeling proud to wear a swimsuit. SO many varied reasons and I hope to help each one of them reach their why. That is my #1 goal as a coach - to help YOU reach YOUR why. Not MY why, not my definition of healthy- but yours.

Tomorrow both of my accountability groups are kicking off a Challenge Point Round where they can get points for doing simple things like posting a healthy meal pic and recipe, taking a post-workout selfie, talking about their journey on their FB page and more. I believe these groups are KEY to success- and I think many of my tribe members would agree.

This is your invitation to join us. Find your healthy- let's get you there!