Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Homemade Spicy Asian Cucumbers


Feeling pretty proud of myself...
I'm always looking for new recipes, things I can add to spice up food and add flavor. Something I struggled with when I started the 21 Day Fix meal containers was bland food. How dumb of me to think that was how eating well had to be! It's totally not. The recipe below is one that proves that theory in spades.

One of my challengers and her husband posted this in our accountability group. I'm always looking for easy ways to make things that make me look super cool- this time it's Spicy Asian Cucumbers! The original recipe is here.

Bonus round? We had ALL of the ingredients in the cupboard! Thank goodness hubby BBQs (yay white vinegar) and I was on an Asian food kick recently.

This week I'm doing the 3 Day Refresh and bought some cucumbers to make some of my meals with. Correction- mini-cucumbers, because they're cuter. I have quite a few left over so when I saw Kim post this it was perfect. And another reason you should get in to my accountability group- SO many great ideas!

So, without further ado, here's the recipe:

Spicy Asian Cucumbers

2 cucumbers

1/2 cup rice wine vinegar

1/4 cup white vinegar

1/4 cup water

1 tbsp sugar (I subbed stevia)

1 tbsp soy sauce (I subbed soy aminos)

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Peal (I just left the skin on!) and slice the cucumbers and put them in a container. Add the remaining ingredients and mix. Cover with lid and put in the fridge. They’re ready after just a couple hours.

Can you say HELLO summer BBQ season?! What a fun gift to bring for a host of a party, too. My first batch of them is in the fridge now- I'll report on Facebook or Instagram how they turn out! 

What other awesomely easy recipes do you have to share?